Sunday, September 27, 2009

My Third World* Wife Tries White People Sports

* This term is wife-approved, no offense intended.

Wide World of Sports
From what I've seen on TV Patrol World, Filipinos love their sports (e.g., boxing, basketball, chismis). I'm a big fan of all three, but a lot of American kids were also introduced to expensive "country club" sports like tennis, golf, lacrosse, sailing, crew, hockey, skiing, snowboarding, surfing, fishing, etc. at an early age.

Marriage Means Ski Lessons and A Few Bruises
After we hiked up to the Hollywood Sign this morning, I got to thinking about all of the sports my wife has tried for the first time since we started dating. She deserves big props for:
  • Snow tubing - We went to Big Bear and a had a blast.
  • Downhill skiing - We went to Big Bear again and her first group lesson didn't go so well.
  • Golf - She has a few clubs to use at the driving range.
  • Tennis - We both have racquets and haven't played in more than two years.
  • Sailing - We haven't actually gone sailing together but I figure our European cruise qualifies.
  • Boogie boarding/surfing - She's jumped on a board and ridden a small wave or two.
  • Ice skating - She stole the show at one of San Francisco's temporary rinks last holiday season.
What Now?
Since my wife has been such a good sport, maybe I'll try to repay the favor by being more open to weird delicacies on future trips to the Motherland.

No comments:

Post a Comment