Saturday, September 26, 2009

College Football and My Filipino Wife

The Problem
Explaining the intricacies of college football to my wife. It's akin to one of my Indian friends trying to teach me cricket.

The Solution
Ignore the problem and hope it will go away. Seriously, I'm committed to yelling at the TV for a few hours on Saturdays in the fall from now until the end of my life, so whether or not she wants to participate in this insanity is her choice.

Filipina Football Fanatic
To her credit, she's learned a great deal about the game these past four seasons. She's come such a long way since 2006 when I had to explain that "No, the linebacker isn't allowed to knock out the running back with a Manny Pacquiao-style uppercut."

These days, she's yelling louder than I am and will sometimes jump off the couch to do an impression of the referee on TV pumping his arms to indicate a false start.

It's awesome that she takes an interest in something I'm so passionate about. And I'm impressed with her grasp of a sport that can be surprisingly complicated at times. When she was little, she said she learned English and a lot of details about American culture from television. Maybe her interest in football is tapping into that same curiosity? Or maybe she's just into watching athletic men in tight pants tackling each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment