Thursday, October 1, 2009

Last Night's Hiatus and Food (Continued)

Did You Miss Me?
Sorry, fans and kababayan, for skipping last night's update. The wife and I went to a '60s-themed surprise party for her boss's 60th birthday, and the Patron was flowing at the open bar. Here I am looking fly in my hippie duds. Anyway, with 345 impressions to date, I'm beginning to buckle under the awesome weight of blogship.

My Wife's Cooking
We don't eat a lot of traditional Filipino cuisine at home. It's shameful, actually, we don't even have a bag of white rice in the kitchen right now. Don't get me wrong, we take the occasional trip to Seafood City or Island Pacific to stock up on essentials, but most of our recipes come courtesy of tastespotting.com, foodnetwork.com and our Food & Wine books. The real sacrifice is obviously the one made by my wife, she misses traditional Filipino cooking so we rarely pass up on the opportunity to attend a Pinoy party and the usual buffet bonanza.

Bit
tersweet Homecoming
On her recent trip back to the Philippines for her tita's funeral (may her Catholic soul rest in peace), she was able to enjoy the authentic flavors of home for the first time in six years. The circumstances of her visit certainly could have been better, but I took some comfort in knowing she was with her family and eating the cuisine she can't find in the States.

Eating My Way Through Luzon
When I get the chance to visit Manila, Baguio City and some of the provinces next year, I can't wait to try some authentic lechon, sisig and more. Until then we'll have to settle for Max's, DJ Bibingkahan and good 'ole Jolibee. And of course I'll try the seafood (Adobo style and/or with coconut milk) as well as the Pancit, upo and more.

1 comment:

  1. We don't eat a lot of Filipino food because my taste is too exotic for you. Every time I introduce something, you give me that look -- yeah that look they have on Fear Factor. I've learned my lesson. So now I'm stuck making boring white people food. You gotta admit, I ROCK at cooking (especially when I'm wearing skimpy clothes). By the way, dinner tonight will be served on banana leaves and you are eating with your bare hands.

    ReplyDelete